May 9, 2012 by WITS Houston
Summer is coming. Have you made your plans? There are still spaces available in the Writers in the Schools (WITS) Program.
Who: Middle and High school students
What: Summer writing workshops
Where: Bellaire High School
When: June 11-29, 9 am -12 noon
Why: Because you have a story to tell
In the Creative Writing Camp, you explore different literary genres (poetry, fiction, essay, drama) with friends. You learn about craft and revision in one-on-one conferences with published authors. Through multi-disciplinary projects combining text and art (such as painting, sculpture, or music), you will also find new ways to address a particular audience. At the end of the three weeks, you will publish your best work in an anthology and celebrate!
- Write your own poems and stories, real or imaginary.
- Compose an essay or a manifesto.
- Perform your play.
- Discuss your revisions with published writers.
- Spend your Fridays on the Rice University campus.
- Gather material and gain the skills to write a great essay for college applications.
- Visit a real publisher.
- Publish your work in an anthology.
- Make friends with other writers.
Click here to find out more from a Rice News story. This summer program is sponsored by Writers in the Schools (WITS) and Rice University’s School Literacy and Culture Project.
Space is very limited. Click here to enroll.